Emmett-Scharf Electric Co. opened for business on April 20, 1922 with Fred Emmett as the electrical manager and Ed Scharf the bookkeeper. They ran a successful business at 317 N. Center Street, Bloomington, IL and were partners until Mr. Emmett’s death in 1939.
Having worked as their foreman electrician for many years, Pierce (George) Johnston, Sr. purchased the business from Mr. Scharf in 1963. George and his wife, Ruth, ran the business together until George passed away in 1972. Following their father’s death, brothers George Jr. and Richard, continued running the business.
Realizing they were outgrowing the location at 317 N. Center Street, Bloomington, IL a new location was found. 1005 E. Lafayette Street in Bloomington, IL became the new location and allowed for a bigger warehouse, truck bay and offices. Emmett-Scharf Electric Co continues to serve the residential and commercial customers in Bloomington, Normal and surrounding communities, but it also continues with the store front helping customer find the light bulbs, breakers and lamp repairs they have come to expect.
In 2012, George Jr. passed away. Richard continues managing the business today. Emmett-Scharf Electric Co continues to provide residential, commercial and industrial electrical services.